Skip to main content

Juice=Juice - Sexy Sexy

  • Juice=Juice - Sexy Sexy
    作詞:つんく 作曲:つんく 編曲:平田祥一郎

    So this song was done by a classic combination of Tsunku and Hirata Shoichiro. They were responsible for my favorite Juice=Juice song “Watashi ga Iu Mae ni Dakishimenakya ne,” and one of my favorite Morning Musume Songs “CHO DAI.”

    So this song is on a slick mid-tempo vibration, it could almost be a American house song from the early 90’s if they let it linger in the verses… It is really Tsunku at his finest. Its songs like this that separate Hello Project Productions from other Idols. I have never heard anything that suites my tastes from any other contemporary idols. Tsunku is both a master of rhythm, lyricism, and melody and it really shows in this song. I have not gone through the lyrics carefully yet, so I will leave that for another time, but the rhythm and melody in this song is so strong.

    The intro has the main music motif which is repeated a couple times (intro, before the second chorus, and throughout the end) in the song, but each part of the song, both parts of the verse, the pre-chrous, the chorus, and the bridge have different feels and rhythms. It gives the song the feeling that you are on a ride and going to different parts of the song. Its masterful.

    The first part of the verse is my favorite part of the song. Its the part with “Sexy, kamatte hoshii.” It haunts me like the first kiss from a crush, so passionate, unexpected, but I guard it as a precious memory in my head. I long for that part of the track every-time I press play.

    The percussion in the second part of the verse before the pre-chorus (@ 0:43 in the PV) is straight house, as is the chorus, but the second part of the verse really has that feel.

    So Hirata adds a bunch of flourishes and his choice of sounds just leads this to be a really slick, dark, candle-lit sounding song. Its so sultry and saturated. The vocal performance really adds to this feeling. His variance of the different parts of the song is so subtle, but I don’t think its distinguishable until you hear the instrumental. It all sounds so cohesive that you really only end up paying attention to the vocals until you really pay attention to the supporting elements. The mix of chiptunes with the synthesized keyboard chords is so great. I’m a synth-whore, so he is catering to me in this song. Not to mention the synth brass in the chorus belting those low notes. In the bridge he has this Indian instrument used in bollywood songs and this hilarious duck sounding sound. It’s spectacular. Also in the end of the intro he has this timbale-esque instrument that is only in the intro, and before the second verse, it takes that away and in the beginning of 2nd verse there is like this ringing chord thing on the “sexy aishite hoshii” part of the song. Its discovering those sort of differences that encourages me to listen to this song multiple times.

    Tsunku’s use of rhythm is so easy to not notice because we end up focusing so much on the vocals, but this song, like most of his, is really rhythmic. I made a recording to talk about that part of the song, and some of his melody.  Listen to it here. (I don’t start playing the music until like 1:56)
    Like always his lyrics are so great. He continues the trend of women instructing men what they really want and how men should carry themselves.

Comments

Popular Posts